Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

MB,

I’m glad things worked out for your bro and his wife… your story does not surprise me in the least…

I once bore witness to the buying and selling of human beings in Panama. It was my habit to explore odd nooks and spaces in the city, and one day I wound up down at the docks (I had a friend on a clapped-out rat of a cruise ship who was chief of security – an expat Irishman). His ship docked and before I could board, I watched as at least two dozen very pretty girls were lined up, right there, on the dock.

Some were crying. Others looked despondent. One or two looked shell-shocked.

The situation was thus: Goons working for the local brothels would take a ride on the ships heading south to Colombia, then head off to recruit girls to work in the “Free Zone” – the free trade area in port back in Panama. It’s decent enough work in a secure area, and because the economy in Colombia is in the toilet, the girls usually jump at the chance to earn some bucks to send back home…

That’s the hook. They get their passports and give them to the goon so he can “more easily broker” their entry into Panama, part of the deal being the girls had to sign a contract promising to pay “X” dollars to the goon for his services. They’re so desperate, they do it with no questions asked.

Of course, the goons have signed contracts and their passports and, once they hit Panama, the girls are informed that they are now whores working for the goons and their handlers. If the girls try to flee, they have no valid identification since the goons hold the passports. They also have a legal binding contract that says the girls owe the goon a big pile of money for his “services”. Breach of contract or failure to pay will get you thrown in prison, as will being caught without an ID. For years.

The thing is, if you pay a goon for a girl’s contract, you will have it signed over to you – now she owes YOU the money – and you get her passport. She is now effectively yours to do with as you see fit. You own her lock, stock and barrel. The fate of most of these girls is… unpleasant…

And the filth were conducting business right out in the open, trading females, buying and selling them at will… handling their lives like Pokemon cards. All totally “legal”. Funny how that keeps on turning up…

As my Irish friend explained this to me, I inadvertently found my hand creeping closer and closer to my duty weapon. The urge to shoot down these piles of dog sh*^ was so powerful… filthy slavers… it would have been just.. it would have been right... it would have also been an international incident and I would probably still be in prison down there if I had done it…

Just another day….

Edit: I have to also offer this – doing so, would have made me into that which I beheld to be evil. They win. Every man – even slaver filth – is entitled to a fair shake, a day in court. Can’t abandon that and moreover, I had no authority whatsoever to pronounce summary judgement on them…

Power. Power corrupts. Some become that which they beheld and are content that they have done right – the ends justify the means. I am incapable of doing that. You have to answer for everything. If not in this life, then the next…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1