Leopard
Leopard
Survivalist
member8

I need to thank you for all the encouraging replies. I was not sure if any information would be useful, but thought your side of the world might change in the future. I have learned so much from Selco and would love to learn more from this forum. I think we are privileged to be able to ask questions and discuss answers. It is wonderful to know there are still good people out there.

I think war, where hundreds of people die every day from bomb blasts, hunger and disease is worse than violent crime. I am more scared of war and think we should ‘fight’ for peace in our own countries.
Tweva I don’t know how you find the strength of will to keep living like that.

We have been experiencing violent crime for so many years that it does not affect us consciously anymore. Until a family member, friend or someone in your neighborhood gets attacked. Then the emotion surface and you feel angry or defenseless and scared. You really need to read your Bible to get answers then.
I do believe that we will be able to leave South Africa one day. I need that thought to keep going. Somehow I do not see that things will improve in the near future. We are still in a downward spiral with hundreds of people entering the borders daily from Zimbabwe alone.

Malgus wrote: And no matter what the government says, follow your own heart and head and common sense. Very true words. People must think for themselves. Take responsibility for your own life and the people that depends on you. Unfortunately by law, a licensed firearm owner is allowed 200 rounds of ammunition only. People with a sporting licence are allowed more for each caliber.
But in all my years I’ve never seen any woman in any city with a firearm except maybe for police woman. Even men do not walk around with concealed weapons often. Security armed response officers and police carry weapons on their body. Weapons and ammunition of ordinary citizens are mostly kept in safes…?
Most professional people working in the security industry and police force like the National Intervention Unit of South Africa are very skilled with firearms.

These units participate in intelligence-driven operations to combat crime in the service areas of police stations and are responsible for stabilizing tense crime situations when normal policing is insufficient, such as by intervening at incidents of public violence.
Their work also includes the combating of serious and violent crime incidents such as cash-in-transit heists, ATM bombings and armed robberies.

The eblockwatch incident map shows all crime related incidents that are reported by our members. The incidents are organised by geographical location which is really useful if you want to see what is happening in your neighborhood. Members also receive email updates of incidents recorded in their area. You program a number and use you phone like a panic button in case of emergency. You can also give them permission to track your phone and supply your loved ones with last known location. Even though you do not know other members, you try to assist if something happens in your area.