Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Heh…

I’ve seen these before. Not bashing your find – if it’s stupid, but works, then it ain’t stupid. But I will offer an anecdote.

The Germans pioneered the use of a trench periscope for sniper use way back during the Great War. It was quickly copied by the Brits and Canadians. One thing I remember about the periscopes used by the Herms is that they were the same magnification as their duty binoculars – a habit I got into some time ago. It helps to minimize your disorientation when switching between the ‘scope, your binos and your rifle.

Captain McBride – an American Captain that resigned his commission and enlisted in the Canadian Army as a Private for the sole purpose of getting into the war early (he eventually made Captain in the Canadian Army as well) – spoke of counter-sniping the German snipers.

One German sniper they never got was so good, he crept close enough to distinguish between fake trench periscopes and dummies (used to attract sniper fire just so they could be located and eliminated) and the real ones. Well within 100 yards, but was so well camouflaged, then couldn’t find him. So experienced that he would never fire when they were looking for him, but the second their attention was elsewhere – BANG! Dude was a Jedi Master at the game. He would ignore the fakes, and then when they put up a real one, he would shoot the lenses out of the trench periscope – no matter how it was camouflaged.

Check out “The German Sniper 1914-1945″ for an interesting study on camouflage for the lone rifleman, including the use of trench periscopes. Many good ideas in there that can be repurposed.

Edit: Captain McBride’s book is “A Rifleman Went to War”. Contemporaneous account of the Great War, with special attention to the mission of the lone rifleman in that conflict. Well worth the read. (Some of the stories he tells are humorous in a gallows humor type of way – like when he and one of his friends were eating lunch on a hilltop well behind the lines, and they were targeted by a sniper. As one passed a can of jam to the other, the can was shot out his hand by the round fired at them – it made a “fweet!” noise as it passed between them harmlessly. They got out of the area quickly.)

Remember that the mission of the sniper is not just decking people who look important from really far away – the greater part of the mission is intelligence gathering – seeing without being seen, collecting information about your opponents, then getting away unseen. Creepin’ and peepin’. Snoopin’ and poopin’… in that, I think your find has a genuine purpose.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1