Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Aukxsona, I love the kitties. The one on the left reminds me of one I had when I was a teenager. I am otherwise waiting for things to warm up enough to start some seeds in the greenhouse we built last year. I’m starting to monitor the high/low temps. Yesterday was a sunny but cold day but it got up to 94 degrees inside, then dropped to a low of 5 degrees inside it last night, so we’re nowhere near being able to start seeds.

74, the scary part is that the knowledge my grandmother had is what her ancestors knew for hundreds of years living in that remote setting, and its mostly all been lost in two generations. There are things people in that region used to do that don’t even occur to anyone anymore. My great grandfather’s house (not the house my grandmother grew up in) is a museum house now and so I have visited it a couple times. The well is inside the kitchen. Seems to be a very sensible way of doing things in a cold climate yet it isn’t done anymore. The stone fireplace is in the center of the house with openings in both the great room and kitchen. The stone is fully exposed downstairs and upstairs to maximize the radiant heat effect. It was a little house and all the kids (14 in his family) slept upstairs in what was the equivalent of an unfinished attic (think colonial era Cape Cod style) with only that radiant heat off of the stones for warmth, and what would radiate up through the floor. There wasn’t a stairwell to the upstairs, just a ladder. That farm fronted the St. Lawrence River which at that point is something like 30 miles wide giving it the equivalent of being on the open ocean as concerns the cold wind blowing off of the river Accordingly, the house had the equivalent of a root cellar room off of the kitchen on the north side of the house where the wind hit it. The house was built by his family in the 1700’s in a way to make a liveable place in that climate. Such considerations don’t even occur to people anymore.