Profile photo of carpedebass
carpedebass
Survivalist
member3

Freedom, I think you are correct. I hope I didn’t come across as saying that it was anything but training. A good deal of that training, I think, is mental. I have seen officers that were brand new…day one on the job…that had to prove this out. In correctional settings, that’s the most likely time to have to prove it out as you have not had time to build up a reputation and MUST be tested, but that’s a completely different topic.

The officers who have been tested from day one and prevailed usually come from a similar background so they already have the “inner game of violence” worked out. I think folks should be training mentally as well as physically and spiritually for things like this.

I agree that many will have a hard time with this. That’s one of the reasons I’m here. I want to pass along what I have learned. But I’m also not finished learning. I want to learn from others as well because I know enough to know that I don’t know it all.

One way to begin to work all this out is by simply watching videos of violent encounters. Watch them, place yourself in those situations mentally and work your way through it. Figure out what the victims could have done differently to avoid the situation or counter the attack. I’m all about mental training because it goes hand in hand with physical training and spiritual training, but it’s the one thing that most people do not train or prepare for.

Some of these videos will be quite a shock to persons who are not accustomed to violence. You’ll likely get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. That’s OK. Watch them anyway. That sick feeling means that you are human. Then continue to think about them and work them through in different ways. Question what the outcome would be if they had stepped to the side (off the X) first, or dropped their groceries and blocked the knife with that arm, while reaching for their force multiplier with the other, etc. Hope that makes sense.