Profile photo of sledjockey
sledjockey
Bushcrafter
member8

Nice post. I am a bit lazy at times and really should post things like this for everyone. Considering I do a lot of field prepping/writing things like this for my own site, too much cross posting might seem like I am just trying to advertise myself. Glad to see this stuff for everyone.

On one outing up in the Mt. Rainier area my brother and I had a surprise dump of snow after having been out camping for several days. We were not in a posiiton to really see what the weather services had to say (several miles up and into the bush) so our only real warning was the typical “Wow. It feels like it is going to snow tonight.” We woke up in the middle of the night to 18-20 inches of fresh powder on top of the base of a 12-18 inches we were already camping on. By daylight the next day we were over 2 ft of fresh and it was still dumping. We ended up digging in and using our tent as the interior dome for a modified snow cave. Throughout the day it kept dumping and left us with almost 3 ft of fresh snow. That night the temperature dropped. When we dug out and packed up that 3rd morning we had some USFS rangers pulling sleds come into camp and check on us when they saw our fire. Appearently several people above us had froze to death and they were packing them out in body bags and sleds. We gave them some coffed, oatmeal/bacon, broke camp and walked out with them (they really didn’t give us a choice because another snow storm was coming in that night).

Snow is a great insulator and will save your hind quarters. Just make sure you use some insulation beneath you like tree boughs or such. If not you will end up melting the snow under you, get wet, and freeze. Been there, done that, and still need a therapist….

http://ageofdecadence.com