Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Whirly, No offence intended but your opinions and experiences are not universally excepted.

They dont have to be, just my opinions and experiences, use the information as you will. Dismiss it, take it as gospel, doesn’t matter to me, just trying to put forth as much as possible so everyone here can make an informed decision.

And no offense taken, I have bad luck when it comes to guns, its why I went into gunsmithing, I kapt getting the lemons or the ones that broke quickly.

As to +P and +P+, they came about to increase effectiveness of certain rounds. Notably the 9mm.

Years ago, departments like the Illinois State Police noted a general lack of oomph with the JHP loads they were using, the bullets rarely expanded and multiple ahota were the rule not the exception in OIS.

Some bright boys noted that the .357 mag used a similar bullet and weight at a much higher velocity and it was much more effective.

The velocity and pressures (hence the +P designation) were bumped up, above normal pressures, the +P+ designated ammo was originally LE only ammo and wasn’t sold or delivered without a signed waiver from the department absolving the ammo maker from liability for the increased wear and breakage on the firearms.

With the changes in guns, the ability to handle greater quantities of the higher pressure ammo, the higher pressure ammo has been more accessible.

The higher velocity of the 9mm +P and +P+ ammo means the bullets expand more reliably. The Federal 9BP load has long been a standard velocity top load. Accurate and highly feed reliable, if anything is going to work in the gun and still be decently reliable, this is the load.

However by changing to the +P+ 9BPLE, LE only loading, with the same bullet but some 200+ fps faster, the effectiveness is substantially increased. But so is wear and tear.

The BHP was never designed to handle +P and +P+ ammo, it didn’t exist when the gun was designed. The later MkII and MkIII versions are better but still not up for a steady diet of the higher pressure ammo.
Back in the 90’s when the .40 BHP came out, it was converted to 9mm by several smiths and one could finally have a BHP that could handle a steady diet of high pressure ammo.

Bill Laughridge still does this conversion, its well worth the money.