Profile photo of c
c
member7

Furthemore, Dmitry Orlov in the book Five Stages of Collapse, talks about collapse not as a all-or-nothing event but stages. I don’t agree with a number of aspects of his book and he has some serious logical failing that invalid his whole premise. Nevertheless, we can still learn some valuable lessons from his stages of collapse.

“Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost. The future is no longer assumed resemble the past in any way that allows risk to be assessed and financial assets to be guaranteed. Financial institutions become insolvent; savings are wiped out, and access to capital is lost.

Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost. Money is devalued and/or becomes scarce, commodities are hoarded, import and retail chains break down, and widespread shortages of survival necessities become the norm.

Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost. As official attempts to mitigate widespread loss of access to commercial sources of survival necessities fail to make a difference, the political establishment loses legitimacy and relevance.

Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost, as local social institutions, be they charities or other groups that rush in to fill the power vacuum run out of resources or fail through internal conflict.

Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in the goodness of humanity is lost. People lose their capacity for “kindness, generosity, consideration, affection, honesty, hospitality, compassion, charity” Families disband and compete as individuals for scarce resources.”

Dmitry Orlov believes we should do everything in our power to avoid a social collapse or worse a cultural collapse. We should spend our time working on building community, not tearing down the structures that have given us our present good life.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that some preppers are almost wishing for the end of the world as we know it. It’s almost like they can’t wait for civilization to fall apart. It’s like they are just waiting to “be all they can be” which might include being plunders and murders.

If you read Dmitry Orlov’s book you will realize that there are level of social breakdown where many of us would prefer death.

http://cluborlov.blogspot.ca/2008/02/five-stages-of-collapse.html