Profile photo of c
c
member7

Thanks for that matt76. I like the email metaphor! The subconscious mind can be our greatest friend or our worst enemy. I would humbly suggest doing our best to make friends with our subconscious minds.

I thought I would share a story about the power of lovingkindness walking meditation. I used to live in Victoria, BC walking distance from the downtown. There are many street people people living in Victoria. Many have mental illnesses and drug addictions.

I was walking back from downtown. My youngest daughter was an infant at the time. She was on my back in a backpack, sleeping. I was one block from my home when I heard a man screaming at a couple at the bus stop. (A group of people at the bus stop were backing away from the conflict.) The woman was sobbing. The man with scared but starting to raise his voice while putting himself between the raging man and his girlfriend. Everything register in that one moment.

I thought about my infant on my back and starting crossing the street to avoid the escalating fight… But I stopped and walked back. I had been doing the lovingkindness walking meditation all morning. I walked up to the raging man. I didn’t know what I was going to say until I said it.

Very quietly to him I said: “It doesn’t have to be a bad day…”

He stop, confused and looked at me. “What did you say?”

Again, very quietly I said, “It doesn’t have to be a bad day.”

It ended just like that. The man that was ragging a moment ago, hugged me and walked away. I was as surprised as the couple. The other man then started holding and comforting the sobbing woman. I walked away, just like that. It was over.