Breathial
Breathial
Survivalist
member3

A couple of aspects that seem trivial but merit consideration are trash disposal and laundry.

Trash disposal becomes important in that, when you’re in a tight shelter with your food stores and water bottles neatly organized, the organization tends to degrade when you’re consuming your food and water; the containers are now trash that you must compress, toss in a garbage can or reuse, depending on your plan. Any way you look at it, you’ll need to have space to store the remains until you’re ready to take it away. It becomes even more important if you’re in a hostile situation; less evidence of your presence increases security.

I realized this could become a real issue in a SHTF event, because food and liquids in stores today are packaged in such a way that huge volumes of trash are generated on a regular basis; I’m dumping plastic trash, bottles and wrappers 2-3 times a day! While it’s now as simple as walking 30 yards to a dumpster, if it weren’t so convenient, it would get smelly and mess fast. NOT good. Clearly this is something I’ll have to consider for the future.

Next issue is laundry. Modern RVs often have a laundry unit which washes and dries small loads of clothing in a compact 120V unit. The problems with them are their small capacity, extended time to complete a full cleaning cycle and the large amount of water consumed. While they can be useful, these drawbacks must be carefully considered in a SHTF situation. In our case, the unit was faulty and we chose to remove it rather than repair it, freeing up desperately needed storage for coats, and blankets. In an emergency we have two weeks of clean clothing without concern about becoming “fragrant,” and longer if needs be.