Profile photo of Vep
Vep
Survivalist
member4

The basic spices I’ve tended to stockpile for basic food storage are powdered onion, powdered garlic, Italian seasoning, dried serrano peppers, bay leaves, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper.

The powdered onion, powdered garlic, and Italian seasoning I get in quantity are the inexpensive 5th Season brand at Walmart.

One thing I forgot to add to the previous list is a natural oil, like olive oil. It provides necessary calories and fat, plus necessary omega-3s fatty acid to your diet. People are used to hearing about diets limiting calories, but for an emergency food stockpile you want to pack in as much calories as possible. One quart of extra virgin olive oil is 7680 calories, or 120 calories per tablespoon.

A minimum daily ration of half-pound of dry lentils is 520 calories, and a half a pound of dry rice is 800 calories, so that is 1320 calories per day as a bare minimum survival ration which will also keep your stomach filled. Add in six tablespoons of olive oil spread out over 3 meals that is an extra 720 calories per day. At 2040 calories, per person, per day, that diet is the equivalent of 3.7 McDonalds ‘Big Mac’ hamburger sandwiches per day. It will keep you alive, and you can enhance your food storage from there.

In addition to the multivitamins, sore an excess of vitamin C tables. That is the one nutrient our bodies cannot manufacture and flooding your system with it boosts the immune system which is your #1 protection against disease.