Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

Its certainly not a change your gun location, but a be well aware of the locatin and what can happen, anywhere.

The little gent who taught me the technique nearly 20 years ago was close to his century mark then. He had been a ‘killing deputy’ in Texas in the bad old days.

He was a little man, 5’8″ and maybe 160lbs soaking wet.
He carried an old Colt New Service pistol he kept loaded with ammo from the same box for his entire career.
He also carried a beavertail sap. When he found out I wanted to get into LE work he sized me up, then told a PD Captain present to go buy him a bottle and me a sap. When the Captain stood there smiling, the little gent just said “Now”. And the Captain was gone, he returned quickly with the requested items. He showed me how to drink and how to operate that sap. Still have it.

He made a career of using a sap and that Colt to rehabilitate criminals. The funny part, that Colt was loaded his entire career with factory dummy rounds. Nickle plated they looked just like real ammo, just a dummy primer and no powder.
He then showed me a half box of the same ammo with dented primers, seems every one had been fired at him.

Being a little guy, big guys would like to prove how tough they were and take his gun, then try to shoot him.

Meanwhile from under the vest he always wore, a “Fitz” Special .45 ACP Colt would come out of the shoulder holster and make some really loud noises. Criminal rehabilitated.

He knew he was in a bad place, bar fights on his own, etc. But he had the ability to think ahead and act accordingly. He was also fast as a snake and twice as mean when he needed to be.

The practical upshot of all this is one can make good with almost any rig, provided a little planning and forethought happens before. And a lot of practice.

And no I wil not mention his name or departments, he may be dead and gone, but some people have long memories and his family is still around.