Breathial
Breathial
Survivalist
member3

Just re-reading the above post brings to mind another point about an RV: it’s NOT a vehicle you drive around on a regular basis. It’s a house on wheels, a smaller version of something you’d put in a trailer park. This means you’re NOT going to go shopping in it, take your kids to the water-slides or visit Starbucks for a Venti Pike coffee.

They’re miserable to drive around in, even when you know what you’re doing. Following GPS instructions, we’ve twice ended up on dead-end streets with no escape but to back out into potential traffic. Parking a 36′ bus is no fun even in a large empty parking lot like at Walmart or Home Depot; while you may have no problem getting in to a spot, other customers will invariably park in such a way that you simply can’t get out without trading paint. In that case, you have to wait.

They’re slow, and roll like a ship at sea when you drive over uneven pavement. They’re comfortable set up stationary, on level ground. If you’ve never driven a large motorhome, your first time will be an eye opener, as you discover they’re lumbering, clumsy and God-awful slow to accelerate or to stop. So don’t imagine you can use one as your all-around vehicle.

You need a runner vehicle, whether a motorcycle, small SUV or sedan. And that of course brings up new logistical problems. In my case, my wife injured her back during our move out of the house, and can’t drive more than an hour in the car before she’s in agony. She’s scared to death of driving the RV, even though the seats are comfortable; the sheer size is intimidating for her. We can’t tow the car on a dolly (due to its design), and a car trailer will be too heavy. We haven’t yet devised a plan, short of ditching the sedan in a SHTF scenario, and going as far as we can in the RV (not my preference, for sure). So while this issue is not yet resolved, we’ll have to come up with some kind of answer…