Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Unless the SHTF event is an emp powerful enough to disable vehicles, then it isn’t likely that we’d be walking home. The grid could go down or the economy implode or any number of other things could occur and our vehicles would still work. On that basis keeping your tank full should be a deeply ingrained habit. I try to never let myself go below half a tank. I also keep an extra 60 gallons at home which I rotate through my mower (I use 2 – 3 gallons every time I mow) and add Stabil too. I do carry a backpack and assorted supplies in my truck at all times.

In addition to keeping the gas tanks full, another item is to always have cash. There are many scenarios where credit cards and ATMs won’t work and so I always have a good amount of cash set aside. The value of cash may quickly diminish within a day or two of the event but many will be slow in figuring that out and so you could buy yourself some ability to act during that narrow window if you have cash.

Of course I write this sitting 850 miles from home which is more than two full tanks of gas, so my survival at the moment would depend upon my being able to procure gas twice using cash during that narrow window.

A third item when any distance from home is to have a good atlas with you. The GPS you may have in the vehicle or your cell phone may not work and that route you know so very well may not be passable, and then what? A good atlas will allow you to find alternative routes home.

Lastly, knowing where your family members are going may help you find them if they are not home when “it” happens. Picture yourself at home and your spouse went shopping, and then the SHTF. Did he/she go to the town to the north of where you live or the town to the south? Your spouse went to an event and is staying over in a hotel. Do you know what hotel? With modern electronic communications, details like that might not come up in the conversation because you can contact them anywhere anytime, until you can’t because the SHTF.