Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

I’ll be the contrarian here. I really do try to buy local and buy American, though admittedly sometimes I am in a rush and not as diligent as I’d like to be. Here in New England all of the farms are small family operations. The terrain doesn’t lend itself to industrial farming with hundreds or thousands of acres. Come SHTF, the thousands of trucks flowing into the Northeast every day from the MidWest will cease. To the extent we have local farms we will still have some level of food production, not enough to sustain the BoWash hordes but some is better than none. VT is the only State in the Northeast and I believe East Coast that has enough agricultural resources to feed its population and I’d just as soon retain that capability, hence I buy local farm products.

On the industrial side of things, the erosion of the middle class is a direct result of offshoring middle class jobs. Perhaps more importantly offshoring our industrial capabilities so as to make the Wall Street gang richer will bite us hard when either the dollar collapses and we can’t afford to import goods or when war cuts off the supply lines from China and elsewhere. Buying less expensive foreign made goods has come at the price of our resiliency as a country. Between their ongoing and escalating cyber attacks, technological and intellectual property theft, and preparations for a hot war against us, I am bewildered that our govt. and corporate leaders are content to have us totally dependent upon them for the manufactured items flooding our docks on a daily basis. When I buy American I help us retain what little bit of manufacturing capability we still have.

On the last point, this is home and I don’t really want to go anywhere else. My family has been here for over 400 years. As a dual US-Canadian citizen I could relocate to Canada anytime I want but to do so now would put us too far from the kids. If I had to leave New England, I’d go to the Canadian Maritimes.