Profile photo of c
c
member7

Tukie2, I am sorry to hear about your husband’s PTSD. That’s really hard for the whole family. :(

I think stress is a real killer. Finding ways to enjoy life on a daily basis keeps me balanced. Prioritizing what’s really important to me, gets the right stuff done today.

I think it’s really important to have a strategy to deal with the things that cause us internal stress. Everyone is different. I can only tell you about the things that worked for me: meditation, Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP), self-hypnosis, Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT), prayer, etc.

I also found to my surprise the old school of Stoic philosophy really helped me learn how to use negative visualization, trichotomy of control and voluntary discomfort can help develop a survivor mentality. The trichotomy of control was a real eye-opener for me. The trichotomy of control helps identify the things you have complete control over, things you have partial control over, and the things have no control over. The practice is to focus life’s energy on the things we have total or partial control over and ignore areas we have no control over. The book is called A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine. I wrote more about Stoic techniques here:

http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/emergency-preparation-survivor-mentality/