Profile photo of c
c
member7

Okay, specific and seasonal!

Right now is organic mandarin orange season. My girls love the oranges and I get them to keep the peels. Most people would discard the peels. We dehydrate the peel for use during the year or use them fresh. I have never done this but they would likely freeze well too. Mandarin orange peels can be use in all sort of food and desserts.

Here’s a household favorite just in time for Christmas.

http://eatkamloops.org/christmas-fruitcake-raw-cashew-marzipan-with-orange-peel-glaze/

Maybe you’re wondering why anyone would eat orange peel. Here’s what Mountain Roses says:
“Peels from any member of the Sweet Orange family have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine at least since the writing of the Divine Husbandman’s Classic of the Materia Medica, written in the second century BC. The little known fact is that there are substantially more enzymes, flavonoids, and phyto-nutrients in the peel of the Orange rather than the fruit. The peel is where all the essential components accumulate and they may be found in three main sections of the peel; the flavedo, albedo, and oil sacs.

It is believed that the Sweet Orange has its origins in China and from here it has been cultivated in virtually every country across the globe with most of the current production coming from Florida, California and parts of the Mediterranean: Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Choline, Folic Acid, over 60 known flavonoids, d-limonene, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, aldehydes, numerous minerals and vitamins.”

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.