Profile photo of matt76
matt76
Survivalist
member8

Identifying sounds is fun. It makes you pay attention. We use it every day but give little mind to it. The sound of a door not closing fully or an odd sound our computer makes all give us hints something is out of place. My oldest daughter used to be terrified of the dark when she was little. After a long stint of waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to get into bed with my wife and I, I had had enough. One night we played a game. She woke up and came in the room. I got out of bed and took here in the living room. We sat on the couch in total darkness. She was scared and wanted the light on. I said no and made her close her eyes. I talked calmly to her and settled her down. I then told her to listen and tell me what she heard. At first i got a lot of scared “what was that” comments. As i began to tell her what each noise was she settled more. It took about 3 or 4 nights of doing this but she finally started identifying the sounds on her own. She was beginning to know whatwas going bump in the night. It didn’t take long and she quit getting out of bed much to my relief. The key is being familiar with the sounds around you. Once you know them you will be able to distinguish when there is a foreign sound that doesn’t belong.