Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>KOS wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>Look at them carefully, the bullet that just splattered on your chest plate has to go somewhere, and without some form of absorbing layer, those bits end up in your arms and throat.

Gents, we won’t even consider where they go if you’re sitting.

armor just became much less romantic.

Whats the verdict on ballistic shields? Wonder if it would be possible to turn a plate into a buckler or something.

Shields, convex (or similar) shaped are much better than chicken plates for protection.
The spatter if there is any, is farther away from the body so therefore a much reduced risk.
One doesn’t really have to consider any coating or covering except to avoid rust, however I’d recommend truck bedliner on it both to reduce rust, but to avoid damaging other things you may rub or bump against when moving or storing it.
Concave (jail style) shields are much more difficult to deal with, and less protective from anything at less than the normal 90* as they leave a larger portion exposed from side angles.
You can hide behind the convex shape.

30-36″ wide and 40-48″ high is large enough that one can actually get behind and still move around, with ballistic shields at least. With AR plate, it’s a bit heavy for moving with, but for static defense in a hallway or bedroom, I’ll happily take one.
I have something similar built into my bench here for several reasons, in case I mess up, I don’t toss one out of the shop. In case a customer messes up, I don’t take one lower than my chin. In case of a robbery, I have something to hide behind. In this case, there’s 3/4″ of plywood in front of it (behind also) to stop fragments and hide the plate.