Profile photo of c
c
member7

Emergencies to me mean short-term problems then everything will go back to a new normal but similar to the world as it is now. Short-term emergency planning should focus on blackouts, floods, fires, divorce, etc. I would not expect most people to go beyond 1-6 months of food supplies and some extra equipment that would help with a short-term, grid-down situation.

When I think about what some people call the long emergency… my thinking gets really fuzzy. I am interested in this topic, but for me, it’s a lifestyle choice. It involves traditional homesteading skills, small scale alternative energy systems, permaculture, forest gardening, water management, livestock, hunting, fishing, wildcrafting, etc. It would also involve regional knowledge about open pollinating seeds, propagating cuttings, heritage breeds, etc. It’s a lot to learn if you want to face the long emergency with any change of surviving.

BUT the problem with these systems is the need for peace or a very low population density. Peace is very important. Without peace, no one can “waste” energy on growing food or developing regional specific, food producing plants and livestock. Without peace why would anyone work, if they know some group of people could come and take their productivity.

Remember the means of production with not be destroyed everywhere, immediately. (If that happened, we would all be dead anyway.) Factories will still be standing. Skilled workers will be available and wanting to work. Stockpiles of materials and energy will be useful for production. The world has accumulated capital that can take a very long time to consume before it’s truly gone. Then collapse could happen, but it’s a very long way away. Actually, it can take decades to work through accumulated capital before a collapse happens. Here’s an article about the situation in Russia that describes a historical nation-state collapse. It also explains why command economies fail.

http://mises.org/daily/6956/The-Economics-Behind-the-Fall-of-the-Berlin-Wall