#28715
Profile photo of c
c
Newbie
member7

MountainBiker, the last time I checked on the cost of a child’s education in School District 73, it was $6,900 a year in funding. That was a number of years ago. It’s likely gone up, even though we have fewer children going through the school system. I was told by the Ministry of Education that every school district in the province was different because the costs in each school district was unique. (Using these numbers, it costs my household 7% of what it costs the state to educate my children. So, where does the other 93% go?)

MountainBiker and freedom, you are both saying very similar things. If only we could get rid of the cheaters and free riders, legally plundering the taxpayer would be okay. Even if you have the perfect taxation system without cheaters or free riders, I’m saying it’s still be wrong to steal the productivity from the taxpayer. If we left the money in the taxpayer’s pocket the taxpayer maintains control of his money can can spend it on whatever he sees as a priority. For some that’s big TVs, for others its private school for their children, for others is giving to the church or a charity of their choice. Through those multitude of voluntary transactions, we would get the world that the taxpayer REALLY wanted, not the social engineered world of an elite group in power. We would get something much more “democratic” then the world we have now.

If governments continue to legally plunder the taxpayer, you are going to see a much worst situation in the future as more and more people move from being productive citizens to being subsidy seekers (rent seekers) that rely on the legal plunder of the government for their daily bread. The problem is the government creates the cheaters and free riders because of the incentive programs. As Frederic Bastiat wrote in The Law, “Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone.”

MountainBiker, you said you have gone GALT. I must admit I am feeling in a similar mood. I’m presently trying to sell my business and I’m getting out too. As Harry Browne once said in his book How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World, “Government is force. Government is political. You don’t control government. Power always grows. Power will always be misused.” No, amount of tinkering with government will change government’s basic characteristics.

I would suggest that if someone is preparing for SHTF, it would be a good idea to think about how to live without subsidy seeking behavior. Maybe if we all did, we won’t have SHTF.