Profile photo of Inshala
Inshala
Veteran
member4

As I mentioned earlier, situation dictates. You might have a well funded, high morale, ferociously loyal law enforcement agency that would defend their own until the end, or you might have the Katrina New Orleans PD that evaporated when SHTF. That’s why you need to assess your local LE sources. Yes, a smart officer should know when it is time to cut his or her losses, grab, and go. Not all LE are in a prepper mind set or might simply be overwhelmed and unable to secure their own weapons and ammo. We could run hypotheticals all day, but in the end your local LE is more of a potential weapon/ammo cache as opposed to your local bank or hospital…at least, in the initial phases.

In regards to the military…yes, as we sit and breathe, you are 100% correct in regards to military ammo storage. An ASP (ammunition supply point) is sealed up tighter than a duck’s posterior. They are literally subterranean concrete bunkers with high fences and cameras monitoring. When a unit has to go to the range, there is an abundance of bureaucratic red tape that needs to be completed before you can sign for and transport ammunition. Even AFTER the ammo has been shot, the unit has to recover the bandoleers, stripper clips, clip feeders, ammo cans, crates, and (most of all) BRASS! As a matter of fact, the government is so anally retentive about brass recovery that range control will not authorize a unit to clear a range if a certain percentage of brass is not recovered. That is the way it is now….in “peacetime”.

When SHTF, the government will have no option but to open up their stores and release ammo to the service members in the field. They will convoy supplies to wherever units are headquartered. My best prediction would be to National Guard and Reserve Stations where they could still maintain a higher degree of security and positive control. From there, they would have to convoy the supplies combat outposts, patrol bases, and checkpoints.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."