anika
anika
Survivalist
rreallife

Another hit, thank you for these ideas!

If I may, I’d like to add that part of my own preparedness is using some LTS items *now,* so that we get used to eating them. These aren’t gourmet meals, but as you begin your acclimation, you can start by replacing one or two ingredients in a dish, until you’re regularly eating all of them from storables. This is advantageous so that you aren’t trying to get used to unfamiliar textures and flavors when SHTF.

Many of my recipes could be eaten without baking them, since the components are pre-done. Like instructor said, it pays to build up your recipes now, and saves you time and trouble later. For instance, my

Enchilada Casserole

is 100% from storage, and very easy to prepare:

Sauce Part:

(you could store canned sauce, but it is easy from scratch using components on-hand that you can also use for other things; this is adapted from Grandpappy’s hard times site)

– 8-oz can tomato sauce
– 1 c. water with 1 t. chicken or beef bouillon
– 3 T. reconstituted butter
– 3 T. flour
– Seasonings as desired (I use 2 T. chili powder, 1 t. oregano, 1 t. garlic powder, 1/2 t. salt)
1) Melt butter in a pan; add flour and mix.
2) Add tomato sauce, water, and seasonings.
3) Simmer 15 mins until thick.

Casserole Part:

(could eat after combining, if no oven)
1) In 9×13 greased dish, layer 1/4 of the sauce from above; top with 1 c. cooked rice, then half the remaining sauce. Top with 1/2 lb. reconstituted TVP beef. Top with 1 c. nacho cheese sauce (put 2 oz. nacho cheese powder in very hot water; whisk; let stand 5 minutes and whisk again).
2) Repeat layers.
3) If baking, bake at 350 for half an hour or so. If not, stir everything to combine and eat like chili.

We like this so much that it’s replaced the old method (which included a layer of flour tortillas, but which can be left out if you don’t wish to prepare them by hand each time). It’s probably healthier, too, since we’re not using high-fat red meat and the extra tortillas.