Profile photo of Inshala
Inshala
Veteran
member3

Brulen, it sounds like you are very familiar with that area! I won’t inquire as to how, but you made some solid points that only somebody from the area knows.

Maybe I’m just an optimist, but I think that Citiots are outnumbered in that area for now, but that dynamic could change at anytime. I witnessed demographics change forever in areas north of Westchester and Rockland counties after September 11, 2001 when all the refugees headed out of NYC. To be fair, a lot of them were decent people who wanted to be safe and changed their philosophies. They bought land, guns, ammo, and 4X4’s to name a few. They sought to become part of the community and watched, listened, and stayed out of people’s business. Unfortunately, the rest of them, which happened to be the majority, were “citiots”. They moved north with the intention of bringing the city with them and refused to adapt. They became involved with local governments and changed policy to whatever was the progressive issue of the day, ie. fracking. They bought up and tore down farms, orchards, and cow pastures and made Long Island-style cul-de-sac communities and banded together. So, yes….solid point, but where do you take a stand and plant your flag? That is my mission: To find out.

The Catskills do have a strong presence of Jewish encampments. After all, they’re not called the “Jewish Alps” for nothing. I haven’t noticed anything militarized, though. Most of the Jewish settlements seem to be occupied and run by Hasidim. A lot of them are abandoned and the rest appear to be in severe disrepair. I’m not aware of any Islamist enclaves in that area as they tend to be urbanized and gravitate to their mosques. I’m not saying it’s not true, just that I was unaware. I’ve only made incursions into those mountains and never stayed for any duration which is why I asked flatlander about it in the first place.

As for Lime disease…meh. I’m not going to sweat that. If it happens, it happens. I’ve known many people who are not your outdoors-type contract it. Without proper attention, I imagine the entire Atlantic Northeast could be infected, not just mountain folk.

I appreciate the input. Indeed, people who are attracted to the mountains just want to be left alone.

"Blessed are the meek for they make easy targets."