Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

Blaze, the coast may get the wind but the inland areas sometimes get the flooding which does more damage than the wind. The year I graduated from high school there were “unprecedented” floods where I lived. My Dad was out of work for a couple months as a result and I saw how close my neighborhood came to going underwater. Ever since then I have always reviewed topo maps for anyplace I was considering living. I am convinced that nobody should ever be surprised that their property has flooded. You can also see where dams are and know where the water will go should the dam break. Irene was the storm of a lifetime here in VT and wasn’t anything I expected when I bought my place but despite much of my yard flooding as water came off the mountain faster than the stream could carry it away I knew it would never get to the house itself based on the topo maps.

flatlander, I expect that the folks in my little hamlet will attempt to include everyone, fulltime resident or not, in our mutual support efforts come SHTF. That’s the culture here. My issue with not wanting to be where there are too many 2nd home owners from Metro NYC (which includes the NJ & CT folks for the most part) is not an us/them but rather just the practical matter of whether they are prepared to be part of the mutual assistance solution in a SHTF scenario. Do they have practical country living or other skills or knowledge that will be useful? There are country estate level places here but for the most part it is a working class neighborhood where folks all have some amount of practical skills out of either necessity or lifestyle. I didn’t want to be in an area with mostly affluent people who generally hire others to do all the work. I know that some of the urbanites will be incredibly useful and am instead just talking on average. Any urbanite on this forum and similar forums would be a great addition to any rural community because they would bring useful skills and knowledge with them.