Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

KOS:
My dislike of the ‘games’ comes from being a firearms instructor and former LE instructor and too many bad experiences. I am not adverse to positive advances and technology, but they have to be positive.

I have people in classes regularly whose entire experience with firearms comes from video games and when the clerk handed the gun over the counter and said ‘don’t shoot yourself in the eye’.

What the game doesn’t give is practical experience, handling and actually using.
Not rubbing the butt of your holstered handgun on the wall as you creep down it.
Not leaving the gun barrel below cover/obstructions when trying to shoot an AR/AK and only clearing the sights not the muzzle.
And I can’t say how many times I get ‘muzzled’ by gamer students in comparison.

Hand eye coordination is one thing, but which is better, video games or baseball?

Much like the pilot who ‘feels’ his way through the sky, there is a difference between the two versions of life, real and virtual.

My son plays a number of these games.
Hunting games especially.
But when out last weekend, life was different than the game.
The noise, the recoil, the weight of the rifle, actually carrying, operating and loading the gun.
He’s shot before, but putting it all together in the field was completely different than he had “practiced” for in the games. No push button reloads, no switching from iron sights to scope instantly, the animals actually running away. And actual bullet drop at extended ranges. It’s not a phaser that shoots both speed of light and without trajectory.

Same son, different day.
At the range with a 1911, loading, drawing, shooting, moving to cover and more.
Because it was the only way he’d done it, in real life, there was no games issues.
And he out-shot several adults from a recent class.

Same for some LEO’s I got to work with, kids just out of college who spent time on their Xbox’s and such during their off hours. One kid was literally checking the ground for loaded magazines while doing a drill.

Slight subject change:
Certain methods and styles of manipulation are over done such as tactical reloads.
Yes I said it. (So has Clint Smith)

Tactical reloading is nothing that needs to be done fast or out in the open.
Especially when ones all adrenalined up, tunnel vision, hands shaking, ho chi mihn sandals going flippety flop because someone just made you shoot them. This is not a time to be trying to perform critical motions and movements. Gross motor skills are the key here.

Here’s the thought, you have a working gun, that’s got ammo left in it, it can still save your life.
Are you ready to break the gun, open it and remove parts i.e. the magazine or open the cylinder and leave it non-functional while your life is still in danger? I’ve seen highly practiced, highly paid/trophied and trained shooters, mess up and put a partial mag back in when tactical reloading. I’ve seen wheelguns made nonoperational when several grains of unburnt powder kept the ejector star from re-seating and leaving the shooter with a non working gun until a toothbrush was found.

Running dry isn’t the end of the world, it just means you are in a good fight. And it’s an easier reload.
You don’t carry high capacity magazines because you want to shoot a lot, you carry them so you manipulate the gun less.