Profile photo of sledjockey
sledjockey
Bushcrafter
member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>c wrote:</div>Safety is very important to me. We triple lock our guns as required by law.

My husband and I are working about procedures for bring the guns into the woods. We never have the guns loaded and we keep our clips in our pocket. We never use the safety on the guns. The clips only goes into the guns when we are ready to fire. The clips are removed from the guns after shooting. The guns are visually checked for being free of ammunition.

Anything else we should be thinking about?

C,

A couple things you should really think about and need to know:
1) Just because you lock up your firearms does not mean that you can handle them safely. Moving around with them and ensuring you don’t point then in any direction you do not want to shoot is always the #1 step in becoming a safe firearm owner.
2) Clips are things you put on Doritos bags to keep them fresh. Magazines are where ammunition is stored. Knowing the proper terminology is also important so you can properly communicate with others about firearms. It seems trivial, but it will get you locked out of a conversation very quickly in many circles.
3) You can carry a magazine in your firearm safely. What I do and what used to be taught as the safest method of carrying a firearm was to always leave the chamber empty. In teaching terms “don’t put a ‘bullet’ into the barrel where you can pull the trigger to make it shoot.” In “gun person” terms “don’t chamber a round.” The “chamber” is where the cartridge goes into the barrel so that you can “slide” the bolt/action forward and allow it to shoot.
4) Practice carrying around an empty firearm that has the action locked to the rear, an Airsoft rifle, or Nerf gun while you are hanging around your home. This will allow you to become acutely aware of the muzzle and how to move around with the firearm without endangering anyone.
5) Especially since you are new to firearms, get in the habit of locking the action to the rear so that it is wide open and no chance for the firearm to discharge. If you have semi-autos that means that you have to pull the “slide” to the rear and push the button that locks it into an open position.
6) Get good with safely handling your firearm. The most secured and locked up firearm is still a potential hazard if the person handling it cannot do it safely.

Those are just a few things I thought about and tossed out there. Again, I would suggest a hunter’s safety course and some NRA begginer courses in addition to all the practicing you need to do. New people should spend at least 4 hours practicing muzzle control and safely operating the firearm for every 1 hour they are actively shooting it. That was an old number that was taught to me back in the day that made sense.

Welcome to the gun owner’s fold, btw. Forgot to say that earlier.

http://ageofdecadence.com