Profile photo of sledjockey
sledjockey
Bushcrafter
member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>deblmm wrote:</div>Sledjockey, I get what your saying. But we, healthcare workers, have Zero experience with this disease. All patients with ebola need to be in the facilities that have those rooms, like Nebraska and Atlanta and two more places I can’t remember off hand, just to minimize the risk, Over abundance of caution. Personal answers to your questions 1)Universal standard PPE are actually pretty effective against other diseases, I’ve worked in healthcare for a while and I have not caught anything, so I would say they are effective against most run-of-the-mill illnesses, but the are hard to get on and off. They are thin and blow around easily, which I think reduces their effectiveness. So I am split on this, I think they suck for ebola and ok for other less virulent diseases.<br>
Limited study I know, best I have at the moment. 2) your guess is as good as mine :) and 3) Its not airborne it is droplet. Which kinda sounds funny I think to non-medical people. Droplet is like airborne in the sense that 3′ around the patient is considered a hot zone if you will. The droplets don’t float in the air. Airborne is the precautions you take with TB, that patient is isolated in a negative pressure room with all the air sucked out of the room continuously and there is more and different PPE worn.<br>
I am just glad you see the difference. Its important I think for the public to see this, that poor girl, I don’t think she stood a chance. I really hope she survives.

74- very troubling

I actually have about 14 years of direct medical care with college degree in medical field. Been a while since I swapped professions, but I still try and keep on top of changes in the field. Let me clarify my points since I was a bit general before. Sorry about that:

1) There are many studies that prove that universal precautions are fine against virii/bateria that are transmitted more through splash/touch/etc, but ever look at the CDC requirements for handling anything that can be transmitted via droplets? That is one scary read, especially when thinking about the times I was stuck in the back of an ambulance, ER or OR with someone diagnoses with a respiratory disease like TB. When the government shows up, like you pointed out, you get to see what you are REALLY supposed to be wearing to protect yourself.
3) My point was that ebola has mutated and gone airborne at least once since we first discovered it. The fact that this virus mutates so openly in the wild and has the ability to survive in so many different species hosts, it is only a matter of time before this outbreak sees another mutation. Even if it doesn’t and maintains the current method of transmission it can live outside the body for a substantial amount of time. It is also only a matter of time before we see it spread like legionaires outbreaks due to ventilation systems and HVAC ducts. This is something that is not commonly thought about because each and every room is not truly an isolation chamber.

My whole point is that we don’t know what we don’t know yet. The main research data on ebola and simliar diseases is mostly classified and will probably remain as such.

BTW: Did you see the marburg outbreak going on as well? Another scary virus in the same family as ebola.

http://ageofdecadence.com