Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

I help my sister-in-law care for one of my brothers in his final days and was with him when he died of cancer at age 47. Less than two years prior to that I helped my mother with my Dad and was with him when he died of cancer at age 67. Their deaths were peaceful being they had slipped into comas before passing, but I can say it is far harder to be with someone as they pass than just showing up at a funeral. 3 months after that brother died, my Dad’s
twin brother died too and I can say that it is also harder having seemingly cumulative deaths like that than dealing with single events spaced widely apart. More recently we had 4 in an 18 month span and it was emotionally exhausting (father-in-law, then brother aged 54, then mother-in-law, then mother). I note this because in a long term SHTF scenario, we will likely see more clusters like this.

Another aspect of this are the young mothers and children. Both of my grandfathers were just babies when their mothers died. My mother-in-law was 3 when her mother died. This used to be very common. I took a walk through the cemetery in my neighborhood. The tombstones date back to the latter 1700’s. I saw stone after stone of women in their late teens and 20’s, often with babies and young children buried with or adjacent to them. I’m an amateur genealogist and if you go back a few generations families losing children to all manner of diseases was pretty common. Adults frequently succumbed to tuberculosis, flu, and other things we hardly give a thought to today.