Profile photo of Selene
Selene
Survivalist
member1

Selco- thanks for the posts. They have given me a lot to think about. Here, in USA, we want to believe that the things you’ve experienced couldn’t happen here, not here. There’s a lot of attitude that the ugliness and reality that you’ve experienced we are immune to. I, too, have seen a lot of people die–some violently, others not so much. We (and I mean human beings) are brought up to fear death and unfortunately organized religion often doesn’t help much. As for me, I’m a fighter. I’m going to hold on to as much of life as I can while I can. I believe the SHTF in this country–there are so many problems right now it’s hard to predict which particular S will hit which particular F! LOL
I live in a very rural part of the southern US. No nuclear reactors within 100 miles, no railroads nearby, no chemical plants to blow up. Yeah, we get the occasional tornado and have to beat feet to the storm cellar but are too far inland for hurricane problems. I live with my 32 yr old son who helps with the farm and we have plans to join up on my 25 acre farm with one other family of 3 should things go sideways. But, it is as you say, no matter how many plans we have laid, none of us is prepared for the dirty, stinking, awfulness that you describe. The only thing that ever helped me was trick I learned to do with my mind. When things got bad I went “inside.” They call it disassociation. It seemed as if I was out of my body, looking just over my left shoulder. I did what had to be done but, at the time, I didn’t feel anything about it. I wasn’t zombie-like, I was still doing my job but I put the emotions about it in a “box” inside myself that I could take out later when things were not so intense and sort them out.
Given your experience do you think this strategy could be employed to good use if SHTF here?
Best wishes,
Selene