Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>sledjockey wrote:</div>I am actually thinking about doing something modular onto my current flat bed trailer. I would have to do a spring/shackle inversion and put on some bigger tires, but it would be worth it in the long run to have something as versatile as a flat bed/off road camper/cargo trailer/boat and atv/motorcycle hauler with only the need to swap out the modules on top. Been thinking about it for a while…… Oh if I only had the time I need to finish all these projects!

Here’s a thought.

Some years ago, okay decades, I helped build a do it yourself portable house. Or more accurately, a Yurt.

A friend had a spare flatbed trailer he was putting to use as his bugout trailer. He couldn’t afford a travel trailer but had enough stuff to make a heck of a rollout rig.

We talked about it for a while and I oulled out a back issue of American Survival Guide (April 1988), featuring a home built yurt, and that was the answer.

We built the lattice work walls over a week in the evenings, building it in sections so he and his wife could put it up while the 4 kids amused themselves.
We actually built a floor in sections so you could get off the ground and stay warm and comfortable in winter or the mud season.
A local tent and awning shop made the covers for the walls and the roof. It was the most expensive part of the mess.

With a small wood stove installed, it was comfortable at 0 F, we had opportunity to try it out several times.

During a particularly bad couple of months, they actually lived in the yurt out in the sticks.

We installed a 275 gallon water tank on the trailer, added locking storage lockers and more to it. When all said and done it had 2 100 lb propane cylinders for the stove, a shower stall that assembled off the side, a fold down table that could be removed and installed in the yurt, and more.

Funny thing, just last month I was thinking again about building my own version of the trailer and the yurt. I called him up and he’s building another nearly identical rig, seems his eldest and her husband are wildlife biologists and spend months in the field. He’s making them a newer version with solar panels and more.
The biggest difference? Hes using an enclosed trailer this time.

But the yurt itself can be made fairly cheaply so long as you plan it carefully and do most of the work yourself.

Check the web for home built versions and the commercial versions for ideas.