Profile photo of RSSwizard
RSSwizard
Survivalist
member3

To keep out pest animals and discourage their presence you might want to get some Chicken Wire. Cheap lockable trunks from walmart for $20-30 each are also generally secure against pest animals even if they are made of plastic so its a good place to put food or other things that might smell (if they try to chew on it, they dont have a good edge to bite down on and they just end up clawing at it and walking off). Those can usually be locked too, but beware they wont keep out mold or insects.

(the kind of pest animals im talking about are Raccoons, Possums, and Skunks, which you do not want anywhere near your tent)

Also if you want to make a somewhat more permanent camp you can build a rudimentary structure out of Shipping Pallet pieces. You can put a wooden pole or branch through them to rienforce them and attach them to each other. You can still put a Tent under it but it makes a much more sturdy overhead structure to protect from rain or snow or falling branches. You put a tarp over it, of course, so this multiplies the effectiveness of a lean-to.

You dont have to make them as extensive as the ones in the google pictures but I think you get the idea. Beware that they’re heavier than they look if you’re having to pack them in somewhere.

>> If you are having to locate your tent in some place which is at the base of a hill or next to a raised area, you may not be immediately aware of the risk of Flooding. Even if you only get 1 inch of standing water there because its only a slight dip, that can spell trouble for having your tent there (even if its waterproof the cold water will cause condensation on the inside and you will still get flooded).

Using Shipping Pallets and some logs and branches you can still put your Tent in that area, like for example if it is a good hidden place and you really just want to put it there. Lay the logs down and put down a 2 x 2 square of Shipping Pallets (that should give you about an 8′ footprint), adjust the logs or branches under them so that they are as flat as possible. Adding stones might be a good idea too if those are available. Then put the Tent on top of that. You can probably buy yourself as much as 8 inches to 1 foot of clearance off of the ground.

Basically this is like building a house on stilts. Minor flooding of the type I described wont get in your tent, and even though it will suck when you go to leave your tent (having to put your boots down in the water) at least home will stay dry.

I thought of this idea after a couple other homeless people put their tent at the bottom of a small incline next to a hill. Ive seen that area flood before and I warned them about it, but next time it rained the ground was wet there and they had to take off. There were three downed trees with plenty of branches, and if they had something flat to get their tents off the ground they could have stayed there.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.