Profile photo of MountainBiker
MountainBiker
Survivalist
member10

When it comes to things like gardening, when you actually do it you quickly find out that not every type of veggie you plant is going to like your soil/rainfall/temp/sun/shade/length of growing season combination, let alone the critters big and small that live where you do. In 2010 I lost my entire apple crop to a late frost. In 2011 I had a bumper crop. In 2012 I lost the entire crop again to a late frost. In 2013 I again had a bumper crop. This year the crop is a fraction of last year’s due to a pounding rain that knocked a major part of the blooms off the trees. Last winter killed an apricot tree I had. Late frosts have greatly diminished the fruiting of my black walnut tree some years. Part of the reason why I have planted a variety of fruiting trees and shrubs these past few years is so as to spread my risk and better assure at least something will come in. Over time I will plant more of what I see does well here. My rhubarbs (which I transplanted from the old place) love it here. They barely grew at the old place. You can’t know this stuff until you actually do it.