Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Aluminum was so difficult to make, and thus rare and valuable, the Emperor of France (Napoleon III?) had his silverware – which was made of actual silver – replaced with aluminum-ware to show off how wealthy he was when he had big state dinners and such… even the Washington monument was capped with a pyramid of aluminum, because at the time it was more valuable than gold.

Then someone figured out a way to make it cheaply, and aluminum went from being used by the Emperor of France to eat dinner to pop cans we think nothing of when we throw them away…

Platinum – because nobody really knew what the hell it was – used to be called “Bastard Silver”… when I was in Panama, I was stationed at Ft. Sherman, which is right down the road from Fort San Lorenzo. Fort San Lorenzo used to be the embarkation point for all the Spanish gold ships heading back to Spain, loaded with loot. Apparently, during a dive on a wreck – not far from Ft. San Lorenzo – someone brought up a swivel gun – a “deck gun” – made entirely of Platinum. Worth a king’s ransom, but at the time the little cannon was made, nobody really knew what platinum was…

As far as there not being enough PM’s to go around for everyone if we have PM backed money again, I would argue that the first people who figure out how to mine an asteroid will be very, very wealthy… one asteroid of reasonable size has enough PM’s and rare metals in it than the whole Earth does.

And gold has been made in the heart of a nuclear reactor. Granted, it’s only small amounts, but it’s proof of concept. We can make gold. Same as we can make diamonds. The methodology is different, but we can make it if we want to. I’m willing to make a bet that if anyone really wanted to, they could figure out a way to make larger amounts of it. In nature, gold is made in the heart of a supernova…

But, TPTB would never go for it, as it would devalue the PM’s they have on hand… unless they could control the amounts made and owned the process…. sort of like how DeBeers dumps shiploads of diamonds into the oceans to keep the prices up and so keep their profits way up…

Still… I’m betting it could be done. Probably will be done, at some point in the future.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1