elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

How long do you anticipate being away? If it’s a long time maybe you should look at having your family follow you, or at least move several states closer to you.

My normal advice for prepping is to give oneself as many options as possible, so if one path closes there may still be scope for action in Plans B or C. I like to map things out as a flow chart, containing all possibilities I can think of; If Action A is blocked by Obstacle 5, then turn to Action B; that sort of thing. It seems to me that your situation has so many unknowns and is so great in distance that you need as many options as possible. That you have only a week to prepare makes things more difficult.

Given the distance involved, I’d say that any regional or short term crisis isn’t going to be a significant factor as you should be able to get close to home fairly soon in, for example, a hurricane or local grid down situation. It’s more likely to me that the real problem you might have to deal with could be a long term or nationwide crisis which would rob you of the normal infrastructure that would ordinarily get you home. Therefore I think you should plan for that more than a small crisis.

My suggestions are expensive and may not be options for you, but I put them up anyway in case there’s something useful amongst them.

Can you fly a plane, and navigate? If you can your situation suggests that a small plane and a cargo of fuel might be your best option.

Failing that, a large vehicle in which you can store a huge amount of fuel [which you would have to buy in advance and keep in rotation so it isn’t around long enough to go ‘bad’], as well as camping equipment, water, and anything else you can carry for a journey that could take you weeks or longer. I’d favor a proper truck for the cargo capacity, and have a friend go a mile or two ahead on a motorcycle as your scout who can radio back any problems ahead.

If you can afford it, and you trust your friends who live along the way, pay them to have a resupply stop waiting for you, because you might need that.

Obtain highly detailed maps of everywhere you might go or be diverted to, as info about back roads and little known lanes and the terrain might get you through and around blockages.

Carry lots of small bill cash; if the currency is still accepted but credit cards are out you will be in a better position.

You could consider setting up your family to make an escape from Florida on their own if you can’t get back there in time.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!