Profile photo of matt76
matt76
Survivalist
member8

There are many factors contributing to the demise of our education system in the US. Most of it is due tot he fact TPTB do not want smart people they want robots. They want workers that don’t think for themselves and only do what they are told. If you can parade fluff around as “diversity” and give an extra course credit for studying Shakespeare then they have succeeded in guiding them to mindless thought. Now I’m not saying Shakespeare is mindless thought and it is an important part of literary heritage but what good is it if you don’t know what 2+2 is. There is a great book that outlines the problems in our education system by John Taylor Gatto called “Dumbing Us Down”. He was a school teacher at a public school for 20+ years and saw it first hand. Homeschooling can be done relatively inexpensively if you hunt around for curriculums. We homeschooled two of our kids a few years back but had to put them back in public school due to my wife having to go to work for her dad to help him out. Some of the curriculums are a little dated in their presentation style but the content is much better than what they get in most public schools. It also lets the child work at their pace. If they don’t understand something you can take an extra day or two until they get it. No harm done. If they are whizzing through their work they can do more or move ahead. My kids would start school around 8:30 or 9 every day and would usually be done by lunch time or a little later. They completed all of the required work for the school year a full month before the public schools got out for the summer. When we put them back in public school we had them tested to make sure they were where they needed to be academically. They have been in honors and AP classes every since. It really is not a bad option if you are able to work it out.