Profile photo of Novus Ordo
Novus Ordo
Hunter
rprepper

All – a tad bit about military ammunition accounting. There is no such thing as a separate account numbers for actual combat, combat training (in country) or operational weapons checks. They are all accounted for with the same combat expenditure codes. I supported several helicopter units and believe me, they blew through multiple thousands of 7.62, .50 cal. and 20mm during any training evolutions, combat validations and weapons checks. We had small ranges outside most bases and they were used frequently when the units were not on actual combat missions. Because the ammunition was essentially “free” – or not accounted like back in CONUS – the expenditures were way up. More than once I had to tell leadership that continued expenditures may not be replaced in a timely manner and be there when they really needed it. Okay, back to the accounting – when coded as a combat expenditure ALL of these were considered “combat” – when in reality, probably only 3-5% or less were actually fired against enemy forces. Some months, not one enemy was killed, but 50K in ammo was blown. You can see how this would drastically skew the real numbers that it took for each enemy kill. Don’t believe that the military are that poorly trained that it takes multiple thousands of rounds to have effective target engagement.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine