Profile photo of undeRGRönd
undeRGRönd
Survivalist
member8

Hi OGRE!!! Welcome to SHTF!

I was going to start out like you are now, and keep it simple.

1. AR in 5.56
2. 9mm Handgun
3. 22LR small game rifle (10/22 originally)
4. 12 Gauge Mossberg

I got #1, 2, and 4, but picked up a Marlin 795 instead of the Ruger. Lots cheaper, plenty accurate and decent aftermarket support. I went with the AR since my son was USMC and had one as well. Mag and Ammo sharing. CHECK.

Everything I was planning on buying was to compliment whatever my B.O.B. (Band of Brothers) had already, so as to maximize utility and usefulness.

I ended up with lots more calibers due to the ammo shortage in 2013, as guns were more easy to come by than sufficient ammo counts in the quantities I was seeking…

I still have the same calibers as my B.O.B. and a couple more. I have lots of rimfire stuff, but not just 22LR, I have a 17 HMR and a 22 Magnum also, which will round out the hunting requirements.

So, in short, make a plan and STICK TO IT!!!
Plan for one main battle rifle, one or 2 handgun calibers, plus a shotgun.
Assess the rimfire availability in your area, and I do suggest one rimfire if you can get ammo.
22LR will be the currency of the SHTF and after, but it is hard to get right now. This MAY be getting better, but not for sure yet. 22 Mag is very scarce too, but I see a good bit of 17 HMR around here. It is the easiest to shoot of the three, flattest and fastest. But strictly a small game round…

A large caliber hunting rifle could do double duty as a battle gun and hunter, Malgus’s 30 cal recommendation is good, but I have a 270W (Savage model 110) that holds 5 rounds and has great range. It is a necked down 30-06 and shoots very flat. Similar velocity to an AR 5.56 round, at triple the bullet weight :D

A 30-06 is a great rifle as well, and more varied ammo than the 270W, but I got a good deal on the 270 so I purchased it. Ammo is reasonable and available. Very similar to a 30-06 in price and performance, but has a better Ballistic Coefficient. The advantage to the 30-06 is the bigger bullet weights, if you need more OOMPH. Reloads, I imagine you could do a 30-06 that is a real performer, weight and speed. Easier to find reloading components, possibly.

Just a few thoughts, and remember the K.I.S.S. Theory applies.
I did not keep it simple :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum