elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

I like the Rule of 3, but I wonder if it can be combined with something I read about the Roman army; I think it was introduced by Gaius Marius.

Before he led an army Roman soldiers were land owners which traveled to war with a trail of slaves and a baggage train; it was very slow going. Marius changed it so that the soldiers (principally now made up of Rome’s poor) carried their own kit on their backs and one pack mule shared between a number of soldiers, so they could get to the battle faster.

There were things that every soldier had to carry, as it was for his personal use and for fighting. But there were other things that were communal and were spread out amongst the other soldiers in his squad (or the Roman equivalent).

I believe in the Rule of 3 and it’s okay as long as it’s feasible, and fine in there’s a vehicle involved, but if one is on foot the rule may introduce too much difficulty to the primary objective, to get to the destination.

This is not my area of expertize, so others who know more may have better ideas.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!