Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Ogre,

Well, the hunting thing is easy enough, but the “gunfight” thing is disconcerting…

To me, what that means is that you’re gonna need something that can take down a deer-sized critter for eats, but can take a high capacity magazine if needed. A high capacity mag isn’t required for a “gunfight”, but it helps. Lots of good work has been done with boltguns with 5 round internal magazines, lever guns with tube magazines, etc.. just saying it’s an advantage…

What I mean about the type of country you live in… goes to range. Are you out west where there ain’t but 6 trees between you and Canada, or are you in heavily forested country? If range requirements are shorter, then you can get by with a rifle that is Minute-Of-Pie-Plate accurate, which offers more choices (since not all rifles are created equal).

The 7.62 x 39 cartridge can be loosely thought of as a “pointy 30-30″… they’re roughly equivalent in ballistics and bullet weight. Which means if you wouldn’t shoot at it with a 30-30, then don’t shoot at it with a 7.62×39…

If it were me, I would choose something reasonably short, light and fast and at least 30 caliber. A 30 caliber rifle can do everything a 5.56mm can, but the 5.56 can’t do everything a 30 can… downside is that 30 caliber ammo is heavier, bulkier and you can’t carry as much as the 5.56 ammo… ounces equals pounds. Upside is that you can outrange folks with smaller rifles and the 30’s generally have better barrier penetration and perform better against soft targets, depending on the type of bullet used, of course…

Then there’s the almighty question… what’s your budget? You can buy something right now for cheap, and then save your pesos until you have enough to leverage a really good rifle or carbine. Or, if you have the coin, go for it right now… or you could buy something on the cheap and then bounce around, getting a feel for what you like best… some guys I know, they like lever guns in revolver calibers because they can use the same ammo for the rifle and their revolvers… some guys have carbines in pistol calibers – like 9mm and 45 ACP – for the same reason…

And just cause it’s old, don’t mean it’s useless… plenty of creaky old cartridge/rifle combinations out there that still do good work.. and don’t forget that the bloodiest war in our history was fought with 19th century technology…

Interested to hear what you’re favoring and your reply…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1