Profile photo of undeRGRönd
undeRGRönd
Survivalist
member8

Malgus wrote:
RGR,

Black Jack Pershing did that back in the late, great 19th century in the Philippines…

Those head-chopping Moros were a problem. Legend has it old Black Jack let it be known that any Muslim head-chopper that was caught would be executed via firing squad and buried wrapped in a pigskin. Also, henceforth his soldiers would be using ammo dipped in pig’s blood…

The stupid **** stopped… almost overnight…

Thing is y’all, the military – Army and Marines – don’t teach or study light-fighter Infantry tactics. Not really. The Army has always been “Here’s the line and we’re going to push it forward”… officers Major and above are more adept at ass-kissing than anything else – it’s how to get promoted in today’s military.

Study what the Germans call “Jaegers”… I’ve brought this up with others. Read Hans von Seeckt. Colonel John Boyd. Study Mao and Che and Giap. Don’t tell others HOW to fight, step by step. Give them a mission goal, then tell them to accomplish it the best way they can. This is called “Handlungsfreiheit” – freedom of action, or maneuver. Better known as “maneuver warfare”. Instead of being stuck and limited by doctrine, you free up the imagination to any possibility, and not only of just a leader – anyone with a good idea is free to speak up. Harness the imagination of dozens of minds, instead of just one.

A word about us old farts… yeah, we know stuff. We’re experienced. But don’t make the mistake of putting us in charge because we’re old. I’ve been in situations where the person in charge was the most capable, but also junior to others. It rankled some – the “I’m the highest ranking, so I should be in charge” kind – but the most capable person in charge, no matter who it is, will increase the odds of success… ego has no place in it. I’ve stepped aside and let others run the show, even though I was more “experienced” or outranked them or whatever… if they were more capable, more imaginative, had specialized knowledge or just plain smarter than me, I was more than happy to let them lead…

Thanks MalGus
I don’t usually take a leadership role (foreman) at work, but I’m ready to take a role when needed. Usually works well for me. My son is USMC trained, and still does jiu-jitsu at least once a week. He’s my rifle expert and knows something about tactics, so that will be when he leads. Very practical. Dad was a “cold warrior” and a medic in the Army. I have others…

I don’t know why you call yourself OLD, I believe it was 2 years younger than me. I don’t feel old, and darn sure don’t act old! (or mature most of the time) :D

But I do take protecting my family VERY Seriously. Hence my presence @SHTF!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum