Profile photo of Slike
Slike
Survivalist
member2

Hi Mountain Biker – thank you for the welcome :)

I am – we are – fairly well set here, probably as much as can be, given the circumstances, things which I can do nothing about.

We have LOTS of fresh water here. We are in a “micro climate” of sorts, on the side of a rocky mountain. The house is built on the shallow bedrock of the mountain. Though we typically get copious amounts of water, any flooding typically occurs much further downhill.

The temperature here is typically 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding area in summer, and 5 to 10 degrees warmer in winter. The sun sets for us around 2pm, but we get little of the winter chill since the mountain and very tall trees tend to block the wind. We have trees up to 150 feet tall. Lots of oak, maple, beech and tulip trees. The tulips are the tallest; they bloom yellow tulip flowers upside-down, larger than my fist.

I typically believe rural is good, though my recent experience of rural life leads me to reconsider. I lived that life for about a year, and found myself constantly visiting town for too many things. Though I imagined my little homestead a “resilient” one , I quickly found that the property was too rural for me. Perhaps there is a happy medium and I’ve just not found it yet. Maybe my place here is the happy medium. I’d like to think so anyway.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.