Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

SJ, there are at least two court cases where criminal charges were pressed at least in part because of the ammo.
I have mentioned both, you want to look up the case files to argue your point, go ahead.

I never said “handloads were such crap”. I related that not everyone has the same high standards as some others. As such one cannot trust all handloads. One of my former coworkers nearly blew up his 1911 because if his slack standards for reloading. You want to carry handloads, go ahead, I’m not going to. As I have said, avoiding the issues previously mentioned. Enough said.

So many competition shooters load their own because of the price and more importantly being able to set up a particular load for the gun itself. Heck my stockpile of POST-SHTF ammo is also the same as my hunting loads, and again I load all my own for hunting and POST-SHTF, as I can put back 2-3x as much with higher quality.
But I still carry factory for defense today.

You like and have had good results with the inverted HBWC, great. I haven’t and in more than one gun.
My Python tolerated them, the Detective Special couldn’t keep them on a milk jug at 7Y. The Smith’s I’ve tried (more than a few) ran the gamut from tolerating to adequate. My Grandfather used the inverted load for years, until better factory loads became available. He used them until I started doing wet-pack and water tests and found them lacking.

Some years back, Denver PD used to carry wheelguns.
Their armorers loaded all their ammo, both for the street and practice.
A couple of Officers ended up getting in a shooting with a gent who started firing from inside his house.
The Officers responded and were only saved by another officer showing up and shooting the gent with a 12ga slug through the screen door.
The .38’s the Officers had responded with to the gent’s firing had gotten stuck in the aluminum screen door.
Poor quality control.

Fast forward to the last couple of years.
People in my CCW and advanced classes, I’ve seen multiple failures to fire and failures to extract/eject with handloads and none with factory ammo. Unlike many instructors, I allow handloads in my classes. Why? SImple those failures give the student extra practice with drills and impart a whole new knowledge about quality control of their ammo.

The department I retired out of, we were using commercially reloaded ammo for our AR’s and .45’s for practice.
I still have half a 50 round box of .223 that had failed during our qualifications (the defective rounds). We had repeated failures to load, extract, and yes fire. 25 out of 400 is not a workable average I want to risk my or your life with. We were also using ‘new’ ammo from the same company for our duty ammo. I immediately dumped every round and loaded my mags with some fresh factory ammo from my private stock until the department ammo order arrived.

I whole heartedly agree, have a resupply plan. If your plan involves reloading, make sure that your standards are beyond factory. Your life and the lives of those you love may depend on it.