Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Forgot if I replied to this thread already and I’m too lazy to go hunting through it, so here’s my 2 cents…

It really doesn’t matter what you choose as a SHTF weapon, so long as you are competent with it, can hit reliably with it and have plenty of ammo for it.

Colin, I know what I’m gonna say right now, you will consider heresy, but I was an old 11B down at Benning getting thrown out of C130’s back when Reagan was president, long before the Berlin Wall came down…

Yes, the AR/M4 platform is accurate. Yes, it is current issue. My first weapon on Active Duty was an XM16-E2 (yes, it actually said that on the receiver… “XM” stands for “experimental model”) that was probably a multiple tour vet of Nam.. but, I never cared for it much. My first reaction was “Da’ **** is THIS piece of ****?!?” The M4 variant is probably the most useful, and that’s because it’s light, fast and maneuverable, despite being handicapped with that short barrel. But, it ain’t the only thing out there.

Weapons are a toolbox. There ain’t no one single “best” SHTF weapon. Each has it’s uses, advantages, drawbacks, weaknesses and strengths… and the best weapon/ammo combination won’t mean **** if the man behind it is gutless, incompetent or couldn’t hit a barn with it if he was standing inside on the rafters…

Personally, I’ve always favored the shotgun. Got turned on to it down in Panama and yes, the ammo is heavy and no, you can’t carry a whole lot of it. But the shotgun can be and is a game-winner. Best load, IMHO, is Winchester High Brass 3″ shells in #1 buckshot. An old Master Sergeant from C 3/7 SF turned me on to that. Best close-range medicine for anything on two legs…

People who disparage the 5.56mm in any flavor have either never shot anyone with it, nor seen anyone shot with it. It’s not a bad round. If I had to pick a rifle or carbine in 5.56mm, any bullet weight, I would choose the HK93. Yes, it’s heavier than the AR. Yes, felt recoil is more than the AR. But the tradeoff is much greater strength and almost AK-like reliability. Accuracy is about equal that of an AR. IMHO, it’s a superior weapon.

One thing that always sort of burned me was these guys who go out and buy a short, light M4 equivalent (like the Colt 6520), and then end up hanging 15 pounds of crap on them. If you’re going to lug around a 20 pound rifle, there’s way better rifles in that weight class that outrange and outperform the M4. An M14/M1A comes to mind. Plus, a .30 caliber round will damn near cut a man in half or smash an engine block…

Hey Colin.. your points RE: physical fitness are very valid. But for a creaky old beat up ex-grunt looking at 50 in a couple years, humping a ruck like I did almost 30 years ago is out of the question. At this stage in the game, it’s not a matter of physical fitness or motivation or “wanting” to be in that kind of shape… it’s just life. Broken back. Snapped my right tibia at one point and blew out a bunch of tendons. Right rotator cuff is hanging by a thread. Them butchers down at the VA hospital had to resort to cutting the nerves in my back so I wasn’t in agony so much and could actually walk around. Didn’t actually fix anything… more like unplugging a phone line. My running days are over, son… and I know it. But that don’t mean I ain’t effective – I pumped iron from when I was 15 till I was 32 – which is when I became “non-mission capable” or “combat ineffective” (their words, not mine).

I can’t hump a ruck like back in the day, but experience and treachery are my allies, and I still got one or two good fights left in me…

I know I’m gonna go down, but my enemies will write about me with grudging respect. It is what it is, and I’m okay with that…

My current SHTF shotgun…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.