Whirlibird
Whirlibird
Survivalist
member10

The .38’s were tumbling simply because the bullets were unstable backwards, the balance point was wrong. Fired right way forward, they would make a one hole group.

The factory vs handload argument has come up many times over the years.
And while I live in a gun friendly area, not everyone does. Hence the general recommendation for factory loads.

Do a search for Mas Ayoob’s articles on this. (American Handgunner and Combat Handgun magazines) There have been a number of lawsuits and criminal charges over the years because of overzealous lawyers and such. Again, better to head this off before trouble starts than have to pay the lawyers more money later. One Officer/Deputy was charged some years back when the skel he shot with a handload (that exactly duplicated a Speer factory load) was maimed for life. The problem comes from the lawyers starting with “you wanted to make your ammo more lethal, more deadly, etc” In this case, the Officer just couldn’t find/get the factory ammo and loaded and shot the duplicate ammo for competition/practice, and as it duplicated the factory load, he ran with it. Bad days ahead.

Some places, you may not be charged criminally but you’re open to civil lawsuits (not here). Again better to head off trouble before it happens. Factory ammo at $1 a round is still cheaper than lawyers rates of $250 an hour.

Not everyone has the space, time or inclination to reload. It’s just a fact of life.
Some people aren’t careful enough to reload, some people just aren’t that smart, another fact.

Previously I mentioned how to slowly grow a stockpile of ammo, one box at a time. Me, even buying at dealers cost can’t afford to put as much back as I’d like. So I handload my hunting ammo, my post-SHTF ammo (same stuff as the hunting loads) and my target ammo. But my defensive ammo is factory only bought one box at a time as I can afford to. I have other preps and thing to buy besides ammo.

I agree that it’s responsible to plan for making more, to resupply yourself.
However I also look at the possibility that this may not be an option for me and others depending on the situation.
6 months back, the family and I went to Vegas for Shot Show. If anything had happened while we were traveling or there, it would have been sidearms only, and a very limited number or rounds.
Now if that had been a long term situation during that time, EMP for example, we would have had a long distance to cover and been stuck with a few handfuls of ammo to get us by. I could have 20,000 rounds sitting on the floor at home but it’s not doing me any good there.

Plan for the worst, no more ammo available from X point forward. That means putting it back however you can, right now.
But there’s the other worst, you can’t get to your resupply and are stuck with just what you have on you right now. Both merit thought and planning.

And I agree that most situations don’t end with grabbing a BOB and the (insert gun here) and heading for the hills, financial collapse, natural disasters and much more happen fairly regularly. And I’ve been one to point that out more than once here.

Me, I don’t recommend reloading for many, for the reasons outlined before as well as the simple reason that not everyone needs to set up for it. There are enough people out there who do reload and who would be happy to both teach a person and also to let them use their setup to load their own as long as they supply their own components.
I have customers who use my gear when I’m not using it, they follow my rules and have all signed a waiver (commercial loader) saying that any mistakes they make are their own.