Profile photo of sledjockey
sledjockey
Bushcrafter
member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>Sledjockey: The old inverted HBWC load is an old load, and unfortunately not as effective in testing as many factory JHP’s. I made a number of these for a friend, he ended up shooting a skunk with one and it was literally shoved backwards by the shot. With some practice shooting a few days later, he found the bullets were hitting the target at 10Y fully sideways. Some guns don’t like the old loads like this.

I handload for my own use and also commercially as part of my job.<br>
But until it’s post-SHTF, I’m going to stick to factory ammo for defensive shooting, better and cheaper to fight the lawyers before something happens than after.

I won’t say how many rounds I could produce but I have a number of buckets of brass that I just had to move (relocated the shop) and last I checked was set up to load some 75 cartridges or better.

Resupply:<br>
I have long argued that when SHTF, what you have is all you’re going to have.<br>
Resupply or scrounging at that point is highly risky at best.<br>
Depending on what happens, looking for ammo means that you have a gun (possibly empty) and are a target for the .gov and any other predators out there who want your gun.

Put it back while it’s still fairly cheap and reasonably available. Put back what you think you might need for the rest of your life, just in case.

Wow. That was a lot of information at one time, so I will try and reply in chunks:

If your wadcutter loads were tumbling in your friend’s firearm, you should look at the powder load or the bullet weight. Just because one set of reloads didn’t work as expected doesn’t mean you should “poo-poo” an entire idea. If you want “pest desecration” testing as a basis for effectiveness, we have shot racoons at over 60 yrds with our inverted wadcutter loads and turned them into a scene from Saw. Getting a good load for my .300 Wby took a while as did one for my .44 mag. The is the beauty of reloading. You can find the sweet spot for each firearm that way.

If you are really, truly serious about SHTF and not having at least a hand reloader or additional ammo as a backstock, you need to stick with civilian versions of military weapon systems and blow out the cylinders enough to fire about any brand/configuration/size/load, etc. Why get something persnickety and expect a specific factory load to be available? That makes no sense……

Again, if you have to fight lawyers where you live just because you reload your own ammo then I say that you should do what you need to for self preservation. Not all states are like that and if your location is so anti-gun that you are pidgeon holed into factory loads only, then you can either move or live with it. Almost sounds like you are in a SHTF type situation right now anyway.

Even bison hunters and Army scouts back in the day carried their own hand presses for their firearms. You can pick up bullet casts at reasonable prices. They also don’t weight that much if you have to di di mau. If you get a bullet puller and hand primer, you are good to go. It doesn’t matter what ammo you find. You can strip it and figure out a safe load from a book. Again, just like anything else….. Just prepare and know how to use the equipment.

Lastly, you said that ammo is “still cheap.” I make pretty good wages, but can’t really justify buying large quanities of factory ammo at these prices. With some time and initial investment, the costs of ammo can be DRASTICALLY reduced through reloading. If someone doesn’t have enough money to put back 1k rounds, I always suggest that they put back 500 rounds, buy a cheap reloading press kit ($100 on sale for the Lee) and get the components to reload those cases 2-3 times. As more money comes in they can buy more brass and just load those up to get to their desired stock levels…… Like anything, all this is an investment. Being able to trade reloading services might also be a very nice option for you as well. I get a lot of trading going on because I have a progressive and can pump out 1k in about 90 minutes if the cases are already prepped.

Not every SHTF situation is based upon the concept of “grab my bag and AR because I have 2 minutes to get out of here.” Preparing for each contingency is what a resonable and responsible person does. Being able to resupply by reloading fits MY definitions of resonable and responsible.

http://ageofdecadence.com