Malgus
Malgus
Survivalist
member8

Much as I respect you bro, here it comes…

I note your quotes, most notably this —> “slavery was indispensable to European development of the New World. It is inconceivable that European colonists could have settled and developed North and South America and the Caribbean without slave labor.”

We’re talking about THESE UNITED STATES. Not the Carib, not South America. Plus, and I don’t know who you’re quoting or from what source, this smacks of someone’s OPINION. The fact that HE can’t conceive of something doesn’t make it “inconceivable” for everyone else…

I’m a fact-driven guy. If you have a case to make, then lay a bedrock foundation of facts and we can go from there. Not entirely sure, but if I were a betting man, I would bet the author of the above would be more than happy with the phrase “African Americans built America!” and “The Civil War was fought over slavery!”… both of which are hogwash and anyone with a reasonable command of history would agree.

And this —> ““In the pre-Civil War United States, a stronger case can be made that slavery played a critical role in economic development (my comment: REALLY?!? No kidding… /sarc) One crop, slave-grown cotton provided over half of all U.S. export earnings. By 1840, the South grew 60 percent of the world’s cotton and provided some 70 percent of the cotton consumed by the British textile industry. Thus slavery paid for a substantial share of the capital, iron, and manufactured good that laid the basis for American economic growth.”

The very fact that the author says “a stronger case can be made” means that what he is going to say is not universally agreed upon as being historically accurate – that it is a theory and his opinion – NOT fact.

And question: HOW can slavery “pay for a substantial share of capital”? That literally makes no damn sense at all, and I think the author is vomiting back up what his ex-hippy, ex-Weatherman “Professor” told him without understanding exactly what he is saying. In other words, he’s trying to baffle the reader with bullshit because it sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. If you dissect it, it makes no sense. “Captial” is literally “money”… how can something “pay for money”?

The American economy was comprised of a great deal more than just cotton. If anything, the Brits benefited much more than the US did. If we’re talking about how the US benefited from the cotton industry, then why does the author throw out useless and totally irrelevant factoids like “provided some 70 percent of the British textile industry”. So what? I mean really, who cares about that? The subject is the forging of a Republic – NOT how the Brits benefited.

Additionally, the invention of the cotton gin, plus the general industrialization of the US would have killed the whole slave trade within a generation, if folks would only have waited. And the forging of the US, the conquering of the continent, took a lot longer than just the time that the cotton industry was around… the vast majority of folks in the US were White Euros. They were the ones pushing West, fighting and getting slaughtered, slaughtering in return, taking risks and dying like flies. Thus, they deserve the lion’s share of the credit.

Then there’s the fact that after 1865, the economy of the South was devastated for a generation. The cotton industry was destroyed, thanks to rampaging ******** like that devil Sherman and the fact that 300,000+ Southerners were dead. How the push West occurred funded by a destroyed cotton industry and a crippled Southern economy is a complete mystery that the author fails to address…

And everyone seems to forget – the Brits HATED OUR GUTS up until the late 19th century. Around 1890 or so, they looked around and saw how the European powers were going to shake out, and they realized they needed a powerful ally. They weren’t overcome with an overwhelming sense of goodwill and brotherhood and decided to cozy up to us… they cozened up to us because they knew war was coming and they wanted the US on their side. The fact that they traded for cotton with the South (the proceeds of which the North then taxed the crap out of) didn’t change the fact that they hated out guts and would have loved nothing better than to see us go down in flames…

Modern day slave? Nope. Hate to disappoint, bro. I work for me. I pay the taxes on the things I buy, and I pay my property taxes (which is bad enough), but I’m no wage slave… when I get my shop built and hang out a shingle and then have to start paying taxes on that, then we can talk…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1