Profile photo of johnnymac
johnnymac
Survivalist
member2

Many homes in 18th- through early 20th-Century American homes had “sick rooms”. A “sick room” is a space, temporary or permanent, set aside for the care of a family member during their illness. This isolated the sick person (somewhat) from the healthy members of the family, as well as providing a quiet, comfortable place for the patient to recuperate. In my Great-Grandparents house in rural North Carolina, the “sick room” was on the ground floor, next to the kitchen (and doubled as an extra pantry). Because of the close proximity to the kitchen, the room was warmer than most other rooms in the house, and the patient could be observed throughout the day by whoever was in the kitchen. This room was also used as a “birthing” and “laying-in” room.

I believe it is essential to prepare a “sick room” (temporary or permanent) as part of a BOL/BIL. In my current home, the designated “sick room” is an unused basement bedroom, which has a bathroom right next to it. The layout of the basement is such, that a “cold-zone to hot-zone” transition area can be set up to allow caregivers to don PPE (masks/gloves/gown) before entering the sick room, and then to de-contaminate after rendering care.