elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

I’m steering clear of talking about some things since what I’ve said about the nature of infections has gone over like a lead balloon, so instead I’d like to take a different angle about disease, which is preparing the body to give it the best chance of resisting disease, whether or not it’s in a shtf situation.

The human body will generally do a lot to protect against disease, but it needs good resources to work with. Food with high nutrition is obvious, but don’t rely on mass market food any more than you have to, since so much of it is processed [which often strips the nutrients out of it], and has additives that over time can build a Toxic Load in the body, leading to a lowered resistance to illnesses. I suggest, if possible, to grow as much of your own food as possible, or source it from trustworthy sources. Keep in mind that the quality of much mechanized farm produce is poor because the soil minerals is often depleted.

Read up on the different vitamins and minerals and what parts of the body they effect. Also be aware that the RDI is merely the minimum daily dose to avoid scurvy, not the optimum does for good health. Proper attention to these matters will help give your body the resources it needs to combat infection.

Make sure that cooked food is cooked thoroughly. Rare meat is considered very tender, but the way to ensure that meat doesn’t have live bugs in it is to cook the food so that all of it is too hot for bugs to live. Obviously meat may not be available in shtf, but you never know; there are lots of different shtf scenarios and some are not as severe as others.

Make sure all cooking and eating implements are properly clean, if possible.

Don’t allow waste to build up near your home. Burn it, bury it, whatever you can, so that rats and mice are not attracted. Also make sure the waste is down wind of you. A good supply of gloves and face masks can be a help.

All this hygiene stuff is not sexy and is hard work and a lot of bother, but an illness avoided is better than being cured of it.

More could be said but I’m sure I’ve said enough.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!