elijah
elijah
Prepper
member6

You are welcome tweva. I have just heard Patriot Nurse mention that influenza kills more people per year than Ebola, no doubt because it’s easily transmitted [aerosols]. There is a fear factor about Ebola because it’s new to most people’s awareness, and also that it has a high mortality rate per infected person compared to influenza, which is naturally frightening.

There is something about epidemics that provokes fear, I suppose because they can’t be seen but people catch them without knowing it is happening. However, I spent some years working with a vast array of bugs in pathology and never caught one of them. This is because bugs are not the mysterious, magical things that fear makes them, but things that follow physical and chemical and biological laws and can be dealt with in the real world. Proper attention to sterile procedures and proper hygiene meant I could work with bugs and be safe.

The question of whether Ebola has the makings of becoming a epidemic? I don’t know, my knowledge of pathology is decades old and not comprehensive, but I believe that certain factors would have to come into play for that to happen with any disease.

For example, plagues of the Middle-ages spread because fleas carried the disease, the fleas bit the rats they were riding on and transferred the disease, and the rats [and fleas] bit the humans. Poor hygiene was the foundation for those vectors to spread the plague. The plagues [in humans] had aerosol transference because of respiratory illnesses as a result of infection, and then the plague would become wide spread just by breathing it in via aerosols. In those days, of course, they knew nothing about microbes, and most people were too poor to afford the way of life to be clean, and they even believed that bathing was unhealthy.

How does this apply to Ebola? There are certain animals [such as apes] and insects like mosquitoes that carry Ebola in Africa, For such a thing to happen in other parts of the world would depend on whether these creatures could pick up the virus and transmit it, and whether these vectors represent a serious problem if they did have the disease. By way of comparison, Dengue Fever and Malaria are transmitted by mosquitoes, but not all parts of the world have these diseases in their mosquitoes.

Even in Africa, it’s evident that few people catch Ebola from mosquitoes but from other humans through personal fluid transfer, so there is a doubt that America or Europe or elsewhere will provide ideal conditions for Ebola to spread this way, but I honestly doubt that anyone really knows the answer to whether our mosquitoes could become a vector yet.

But as I said in the earlier post, Ebola [according to all that I’ve read about it] doesn’t seem to be a respiratory disease so I don’t see that it has the makings of an epidemic.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!